Travel Advice

Australian Government advice for Malta

Flag of Malta

When travelling to Malta, you should always get travel insurance in case the worst happens. To help you ensure you travel safely, we have included the travel advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for Malta.


  • We advise you to exercise normal safety precautions in Malta. You should exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia. Monitor the media and other sources for changes to local travelling conditions.
  • There is an ongoing threat of terrorism in Europe. In the past, terrorist attacks have occurred in a number of European cities. See Safety and security .
  • Some airlines fly from Malta to Libya. We advise against all travel to Libya. Some flights between Malta and Dubai stopover in Tunisia. Tunisia currently has a travel advice of ‘reconsider your need to travel’. Check flight itineraries before booking. See Local travel .
  • See Travel Smart for general advice for all travellers.
  • Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:

Entry and exit

Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice. Contact the nearest High Commission or Consulate of Malta for the most up to date information.

People travelling directly to or from a country outside the European Union (EU) who are carrying 10,000 Euros or more (or the equivalent amount in another currency) are required to declare the cash at the place of their arrival or departure from the EU. Under the legislation, the term "cash" includes cheques, travellers' cheques and money orders. Travellers failing to declare the cash or providing incomplete or incorrect information will incur a fine. There is no requirement to declare cash for people travelling to or from another EU country.

Make sure your passport has at least six months validity from your planned date of return to Australia. You should carry copies of a recent passport photo with you in case you need a replacement passport while overseas.

Safety and security


Malta has a low incidence of serious crime. However, petty crime including bag snatching and pickpocketing does occur, particularly in areas frequented by tourists and on the main bus routes, especially the 13, 14 and 15 services from Sliema, St. Julian's and Paceville to Valletta. You should remain vigilant and secure valuables at all times.

We recommend you maintain a high level of personal awareness when visiting nightclub areas late at night, as poor crowd control and excessive drinking can lead to violence. See our Partying overseas page.

Hunting season

The spring hunting season in Malta runs annually from mid-to-late April, and the autumn hunting season runs annually from 1 September until 31 January. Hunting areas are rarely marked and can overlap with camping areas, country walkways and other public areas. Hunting with firearms is common and is permitted from 2 hours before sunrise until noon, though hunting may occur outside these times and in undesignated locations.

If you are visiting rural areas, be aware that hunters may be in the area, and be vigilant to avoid incidents.


There is an ongoing threat of terrorism in Europe. In the past, terrorist attacks have occurred in a number of European cities including Paris, Copenhagen, Glasgow, London, Madrid, Moscow, Oslo and Volgograd. Targets have included public transport and transport hubs, and public places frequented by foreigners. In addition, a number of planned attacks have been disrupted by European security services in recent years.

Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. See our Terrorist Threat Overseas bulletin for more information on terrorism.

Money and valuables

The official currency of Malta is the Euro. Foreign currencies can easily be exchanged at banks, foreign exchange bureaus and special ATMs.

Your passport is a valuable document that is attractive to criminals who may try to use your identity to commit crimes. It should always be kept in a safe place. You are required by Australian law to report a lost or stolen passport online or contact the nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate as soon as possible.

Local travel

You can drive in Malta on your Australian driving licence for a period not exceeding 12 months from the date of your arrival in Malta. Australians taking up residence in Malta may exchange their Australian licence for an equivalent Maltese licence. For further advice, see our Road travel page.

If driving in Malta, you should be aware that local standards of driving and road conditions can be poor. Some roads are narrow, congested and can be susceptible to flash flooding in heavy rain.

You should also note that if you are involved in a bumper to bumper accident and no person is injured, there is no requirement to contact the police or local wardens. For any other accidents, the local wardens must be contacted on 2132 0202 and vehicles must not be moved until wardens have recorded details of the accident. Where people are injured, the police must be contacted on 2122 4001 or 112.

Airline safety

Some airlines fly from Malta to Libya. We advise against all travel to Libya . Some flights between Malta and Dubai stopover in Tunisia. Tunisia currently has a travel advice of ‘reconsider your need to travel’. Check flight itineraries before booking.

The Australian Government does not provide information on the safety of individual commercial airlines or flight paths. See instead the Aviation Safety Network website for information on aviation safety in Malta.

Please also refer to our general Air travel page for information on aviation safety and security.


You are subject to the local laws of Malta, including ones that appear harsh by Australian standards. If you’re arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you under our Consular Services Charter . But we can't get you out of trouble or out of jail. Research laws before travelling, especially for an extended stay.

Laws for the possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are generally strict. Penalties can include jail sentences, heavy fines and confiscation of property. See our Drugs page.

Some Australian criminal laws, such as those relating to money laundering, bribery of foreign public officials, terrorism, forced marriage, female genital mutilation, child pornography and child sex tourism, apply to Australians overseas. Australians who commit these offences while overseas may be prosecuted in Australia.

Australian authorities are committed to combating sexual exploitation of children by Australians overseas. Australians may be prosecuted at home under Australian child sex tourism and child pornography laws. These laws provide severe penalties of up to 25 years’ imprisonment for Australians who engage in child sexual exploitation while outside of Australia.

Information for dual nationals

Dual nationality is recognised in Malta. There are no military/civil service obligations for dual nationals.

Our Dual nationals page provides further information.


We strongly recommend that you take out comprehensive travel insurance that will cover any overseas medical costs, including medical evacuation, before you depart. Confirm that your insurance covers you for the whole time you'll be away and check what circumstances and activities are not included in your policy. Remember, regardless of how healthy and fit you are, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. The Australian Government will not pay for a traveller's medical expenses overseas or medical evacuation costs.

It is important to consider your physical and mental health before travelling overseas. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before you travel. At least eight weeks before you depart, make an appointment with your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and any implications for your health, particularly if you have an existing medical condition. The World Health Organization (WHO) provides information for travellers and our Health page also provides useful information for travellers on staying healthy.

The general standard of medical facilities and care in Malta is good. However, in the event of a serious accident or illness, a medical evacuation to the United Kingdom or another European country may be necessary, at considerable cost.

Malta and Australia are signatories to a reciprocal health care agreement which covers travellers for up to six months from their date of arrival in Malta. The agreement provides Australians with access to government medical facilities and care but does not provide for ongoing treatment of existing health conditions. The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement does not replace the need for private travel health insurance. See the Department of Human Services website for more information.

Diving is a popular tourist pursuit in Malta. Decompression chambers are located at Mater Dei Hospital and Gozo General Hospital.

Where to get help

Depending on your enquiry, your best option may be to first contact your family, friends, airline, travel agent, tour operator, employer or travel insurer. Your travel insurer should have a 24-hour emergency number.

If the matter relates to criminal issues, contact the police at the nearest police station or call them on the national emergency number 112. You should always obtain a police report when reporting a crime.

To complain about tourism services, contact the service provider directly. The Visit Malta tourism office may also be able to provide advice, and you can contact them directly at one of their offices or call them on their ‘freephone’ service on 80 072 230 (local calls only).

The Consular Services Charter explains what the Australian Government can and can’t do to assist Australians overseas. For consular assistance, see contact details below:

Australian High Commission, Malta

Ta' Xbiex Terrace
Telephone: + 356 21338201
Facsimile: +356 21344059

See the Australian High Commission website for information about opening hours and temporary closures that may affect service provision.

If you are travelling to Malta, whatever the reason and however long you'll be there, we encourage you to register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. You can register online or in person at any Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. The information you provide will help us to contact you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family issue.

In a consular emergency if you are unable to contact the above mission, you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305, or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

Additional information